How to Claim for a Work-Related Injury

Have you been injured in the workplace? There are many injuries sustained at work each year which can have a significant impact on an employee’s wellbeing and ability to work. These injuries are particularly common in hazardous industries, but even office-based jobs cause thousands of injuries each year whether this is a slip, trip or fall, or repetitive strain injury (RSI). If you have suffered an injury at work and it wasn’t your fault, then you could be entitled to compensation. Compensation is important because an injury could leave you with various costs to cover and possibly a loss of income if you are unable to work as a result of it. Below is what you need to do if you suffer a work-related injury.

Report the Injury 

The first thing you need to do is report the injury to your employer or supervisor. Make sure that you record this information in an accident book. It is also a good idea to make a record of the injury yourself which will detail what the injury is, why and how it occurred, the time and date and any witnesses. After you have reported the injury, it is a wise idea to see a doctor even if it is a minor injury as they will be able to provide medical details which will be crucial if you want to make a claim. 

Notify Trade Union and the Health & Safety Executive 

If you believe that the work environment is unsafe, then you should speak to your trade union and/or contact the Health & Safety Executive. Make sure that you keep thorough records of any communication too. You have the right to protect yourself, and this could involve leaving work until the hazard has been fixed. 

Payment & Compensation 

If you need time off from work because of the injury, you could be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and, depending on the severity of the injury, you could claim for benefits. If the injury or accident was a result of your employer’s negligence, you should claim for compensation, particularly if the injury has left you with bills to pay and it has stopped you from working. You should always speak to specialists like the-compensation-experts.co.uk as this will make the process quick and easy and should result in maximum compensation. You will need to provide as much evidence and detail as possible which is why it is so important that you make a detailed record and get contact details from any witnesses. Even if you are unsure if you are entitled to compensation, it is still worth seeking legal advice, and in many cases, specialists will offer free, no obligation meetings and no win no fee services. 
Accidents occur in the workplace on a daily basis in all industries. It is the responsibility of your employer to provide a safe environment to work in, and injuries can be distressing, life-altering and costly. If the accident is due to the negligence of others and it was not your fault, you may be entitled to compensation and taking legal action could also stop anyone else from suffering the same injury in the future.

© Mrs Jones London . Design by Fearne.